Friday, June 09, 2006

lessons....

All last week I had thought about it. We live about 3 minutes from Brent's brother and his family, and see them only on neccessary family events- holidays, birthdays, etc. NOT because I want it that way.... another day. Anyways, I went over it again and again, and always came up with NO I wasn't making anything. But Tuesday I said something to Cameron about Jack's birthday party and his face lit up- he loves Jack so much, which makes me so sad that he hardly ever gets to see him.
I decided right there that I was making something, and if not for Jack, for my son. What kind of example am I setting with my actions? Not that he would have known if I hadn't made it, but if the cycle continues, he will know. So I made that box, and showed it to Cameron and told him I would take him to the store and he could fill it up with whatever he wanted to give Jack. A slinky, fake lizard, silly putty and some magic towels (those ones that are tiny, then expand in water) later (it cracks me up what three year olds think are the coolest), I had the happiest son that was so excited to give this box to Jack. And I cried. I realized how much I had lost sight of what mattered and what was important, and I am so glad I have these children in my life to remind me of what is. It really doesn't matter what is returned, but to feel good and proud of the things you do and the decisions you make at the end of the day, that is what matters. What your children learn from you is what matters.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is an absolutely adorable box!!!!! I LOVE IT!!! You did an awesome job. I'm so glad that Cam had a good time filling it. And I have in-laws that are the exact same (I was relating to everything you were writing) so I'm glad you decided to do this for Jack. I hope you will write in your blog about how he reacts :)

Jessica

Anonymous said...

That box is awesome and even if she doesn't appreciate, all us boodles do. So sorry to hear that you've got the SIL from you know where. Love all the little things Cam picked out, he definitely knows how to shop!!

Anonymous said...

The box is awesome!, and Cam's reaction is the best. He knows exactly what 3 year old boys like! Please post Jack's (and Cam's) reaction.

Carrie

Anonymous said...

Heather, it's an awesome box filled with even more aewsome goodies! Jack will love it and forget about the sil.

Hugs,
Carmen

shannon said...

oy. we have identical sil's. i think it's great that you made the gift. it's cute as heck and that cam had a great time filling it.
you are an awesome momma! :)

Unknown said...

Yay for you for being the bigger person...{{hugs}}. And, that box is the freaking cutest!!

Jaime said...

What an adorable box! Can you make one for my ds's cowboy room? :)

Brandy said...

I called you a wuss in my head for crying, but good job on your revelation. Me, I am going to stick to teaching Dylan to be a hater. But that is why Cam will be sweeter than Dylan, not that I needed another reason. It is a cute darn box too.

Brandy said...

Oh and what did she say?

Colleen said...

holy freakin' cowboy! that box is amazing!

And you're just an amazing Mom. And your kids will continue to see your efforts from these days for many many many years to come. I STILL remember defining moments from my childhood and lessons my parents taught me without even knowing they were teaching it to me. They will remember these things, Heather. You're doing exactly the right thing. YAY YOU!